Volunteer — How You Can Help
- Greeting clients
- Being a "shopping" partner with clients
- Re-stocking shelves
- Picking up orders from DMARC, Iowa Food Bank, Panera Bread, Wal-Mart and other donors (see delivery sign-up for more information)
- Collecting food or money for holiday meals
- Doing general office work
- Serving on one of our standing committees
If you would like to be part of this vital service in our community, print this Volunteer Application, fill it out, and return it to the Urbandale Food Pantry. Please note: You must have an email address in order to be a volunteer! Communicating with over 100 volunteers requires the use of email. Thank you!
Because we are a choice pantry with increased interaction with clients, children under the age of 14 are not allowed to volunteer at the Urbandale Food Pantry during the hours of operation without a parent/guardian present. Parents will need to complete a volunteer application and pass a background check before they can be scheduled to volunteer.
If an elementary/middle school aged child would like to volunteer, there are opportunities available to stock shelves or clean the pantry when we are closed. If you know of any students interested in this opportunity, they can call the UFP at 515-251-6688.
If you know of a high school student who needs volunteer hours, they must sign up in advance. Click on Teen Volunteers button on this page to sign up for a shift. The only shifts available for high school students are Mondays 3:30-5:15pm and 5:15-6:45pm (with the exception of the first of the month which is reserved for adults), and Saturdays 7:45-10:00am and 10:00am-12:00noon. Teenagers must be 14+ or in high school to volunteer during these shifts.
Volunteers do not need to have completed a volunteer application to pick up and deliver donations. To sign up for a delivery, please click on the location below you would like to pick up and deliver to the UFP and sign up online for dates that work for you:
- Johnston Hy-Vee Bread and Bakery Donation
- Sunday, Whole Foods Donation
- Monday, Whole Foods Donation
- Monday, Jordan Creek Hy-Vee Bread Donation
- Monday/Wednesday, Valley West Mall Caribou Coffee Donation
- Monday, Get Fit Grill Donation
- Tuesday, Jordan Creek Walmart Donation
- Tuesday, Merle Hay KFC Donation
- Tuesday, Urbandale Aldi Donation
- Tuesday, Johnston Panera Donation
- Wednesday, Fresh Thyme Donation
- Wednesday, WDM Panera Donation
- Thursday, Natural Grocers/Subway Donation
Gardening at Home or with Urban Harvest
If you have your own vegetable garden in the growing season, consider planting a little extra and donating the surplus fruits and vegetables to the Food Pantry. When you harvest your abundance, "Please Pass the Veggies" to your neighbors in need.
If you enjoy gardening but don't have the space or time to tend your own garden, consider helping the folks at Urban Harvest. Urban Harvest, located at 7605 Aurora in Urbandale (behind Urban Heights Covenant Church), is a community garden in Urbandale, Iowa, committed to providing fresh produce for the local food pantry. For more information contact Urban Harvest at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-278-1371.